Monday, February 15, 2016

Cookie Progress: Weeks 36 - 40

Another 5 weeks of bringing people joy through cookies!  I truly love how excited people get for cookies.  Baking for you is completely my pleasure.


Week 36:
Cookies - Raspberry Cream Cookies
Event - Greg and Mike's birthday
Recipe - http://www.anecdotesandapples.com/raspberry-cream-cookies-and-36-weeks
Review - Yum!  I wanted to make a cookie that would travel well since these had to go to two different cities, both several states away!  I was excited to use fruit in a cookie, especially with white chocolate.  It was a tasty combination.  I think I should've let the dough sit out longer after being chilled.  The last couple of batches out of the oven were a little better looking than the first couple.  The first few were more lumpy I guess, while the warmer dough cooked more evenly.  Next time I may use chopped white chocolate as the recipe calls for as opposed to the white chocolate chips that I used.  I also may use fresh raspberries that I freeze rather than frozen bagged raspberries.  I'm not sure it would make a big difference, but maybe in the amount of whole raspberries that were in the cookie rather than pieces.  I was excited to send the McCauley twins some cookies for their big birthday.


Week 37:
Cookies - Chocolate Chip Cookies (NY Times rated best)
Event - Casey's birthday
Recipe - http://iambaker.net/chocolate-chip-cookies/
Review - Casey wanted plain chocolate chip cookies, lucky for him I had a recipe that has been rated the best chocolate chip cookie recipe by the NY Times.  Unfortunately for me, it was a little more complicated than most plain chocolate chip cookie recipes.  I have never used bread flour or cake flour prior to these cookies.  I also hadn't sifted out all the dry ingredients before.  Plenty of time and hand cramps later I could start the actual mixing of the dough!  These also had to chill for awhile, so I had to plan it out more than usual.  However, they were amazing and Casey and others enjoyed them.  They got a great reaction.  It made a very large batch of cookies, so if I make these again I would either freeze some of the dough or cut the recipe in half.  Casey said these tasted "like Chips Ahoy!" - I know he meant similar in taste and texture but much better!!


Week 38:
Cookies - Soft and Puffy Peanut Butter Coconut Oil Cookies
Event - for Jon
Recipe - http://www.averiecooks.com/2013/03/soft-and-puffy-peanut-butter-coconut-oil-cookies.html
Review - Brian's friend Jon was very interested in my cookie journey and wanted to get in on it.  So when I had a free week with no events, Jon got a spot!  I was excited that he chose this recipe out of a few choice because I wasn't sure who would be interested in these since they are just a little different.  I loved how these turned out.  I honestly couldn't taste the coconut oil in the cookies.  I did tast the soft and puffy peanut butter, though!  I think Jon may have enjoyed them all in a short timeframe, so I'd say that's a success.  I liked the texture of these quite a bit.  They were a little greasy on your fingertips with the coconut oil and peanut butter, but didn't taste greasy.  I really like how they looked, it was a good dough to use with the cookie scoop.       


Week 39:
Cookies - Soft Nutella Chocolate Chip Cookies
Event - Kevin's birthday
Recipe - http://americanheritagecooking.com/2014/06/soft-nutella-chocolate-chip-cookies/
Review - When we were in Wisconsin for Jess and Doug's wedding, Kevin wanted to make sure he got in on this cookie adventure and let me know when his birthday was.  He said chocolate chip may be his favorite, and Loretta helped me pick this recipe of a few different varieties I had to choose from.  I was also very excited about these, because baking with Nutella always turns out delicious.  I know these were enjoyed, I just hope they didn't cause an argument in the Coccetella home!  Not only were these delicious but they were very straightforward and simple to bake.  I did use semi-sweet chocolate chips as opposed to bittersweet chocolate chips, but I think it'd be fun to make it both ways and see which I preferred.


Week 40:
Cookies - Twix Cookies
Event - Jessica's birthday
Recipe - http://www.chef-in-training.com/2014/11/twix-cookies/
Review - These were perhaps the most talked about cookies that people seemed most excited about.  I suppose they are unique.  The cookie is a shortbread, then it has melted caramel and melted chocolate on top.  Each layer required cooling before moving on to the next.  I made these while I was getting my internet upgraded and the technician said, "Yum, cookies!  Someone will be lucky."  Oh if only he knew how lucky so many people have been!  They were a sure manual labor of love for my best friend's birthday.  We both love Twix so it was awesome to make these for her.  She was more excited than just about anyone so far.  That is by far my favorite part of baking cookies; it's all to give people something to smile about and enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment