Friday, March 11, 2011

Travel Bug

I am in a writing mood tonight!

One huge love of mine: TRAVEL

I believe travel to be a very broad term.  To me, it encompasses adventure, and what is life without adventure?!  Travel can mean going to the other side of town you never venture to, or going around the world to an exotic remote location. 

Travel has always been important to me.  As a child my family always took summer vacations.  I was incredibly lucky to see so much of the United States growing up.  I treasure those memories, even the long car rides with two annoying brothers.  High school provided me the opportunity to see London and Paris.  One of the best decisions of my life led me to study in Australia.  This was where the travel bug really bit me hard.  While in Australia for five months, I was able to make it to every state and territory.  We spent much of our time seeing the country.  Ever since returning I feel the need to go somewhere much more often - at least once a month! 

I enjoy travel by plane, by boat, by train, by bus, or by car.  I enjoy travel with friends, with family, and even by myself.  College made saving money for travel difficult but I had plenty of time for it.  Now it has become much easier to save but more difficult to take the time!  I have become better with long weekend travel and local travel.  My belief is that taking yourself out of your comfort zone and putting yourself in new surroundings is necessary for growth and excitement in your life.  While this can mean trying a new restaurant or taking a new route to work, a trip to somewhere farther from home is sure to put you in a new state of mind - literally and figuratively.  :) 

My hope is to be able to continue my passion for seeing the world, one small corner at a time, throughout my life.  It is one thing that is on my mind most every day.  The prospect of travel brings me excitement and joy no matter how short or close my trip may be.  Maybe we can travel together some day, near or far.  I think it brings those taking the trip so much closer by experiencing the travel together.  New light, new perspective is often found through travel.  However, an important note must be made that travel is perhaps most fully enjoyed with a wide open mind and spirit.  I try to always have both. 


The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.  ~St. Augustine


The traveler sees what he sees.  The tourist sees what he has come to see.  ~G.K. Chesterton


Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind.  ~Seneca

No comments:

Post a Comment